RE: MS ACM MP3 decoder

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at voila.fr
Tue May 21 04:41:04 CDT 2002

Of course, I don't claim X11 license over all the patch
However, the Wine only part (the mpgl3.c file) is under an X11 license.
The rest remains LGPL
The ReWind tree will likely not include the LGPL code but propose configure options to add the mpglib
A+

> > "Eric Pouech" <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > this patch implements an ACM MP3 decoder (only, no coder)
> > > it is based on the mpglib (which is now LGPL, and which is
> > > included in the patch)
> >
> > If you base your code on the LGPL'ed code, you can't claim
> > it has an X11 license.
>
> Of course he can, if Wine is just a user of mpglib, the
> LGPL makes no claim on users only and even if it
> did HIS code can still be under the X11 license.
>
> We have discussed this before and at the very least everybody seems
> to agree on that unless the LGPL code depends on Wine everything is fine.
> The mpglib obviously doesn't depend on Wine and that's it.

Eric Pouech
(http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eric.pouech/)
The future will be better tomorrow,
Vice President Dan Quayle