Loadorder should check library name, not path

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue May 21 16:36:06 CDT 2002

    Alexandre> Uwe Bonnes <bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
    >> Several possibilities: - several versions of winxx are available. You
    >> are trying to run one executable in the context of another system -
    >> you have an empty <windows/system> directory and want to run
    >> application from the <windows/system> directory of the winxx
    >> available on your system.

    Alexandre> Note this would most likely crash and burn under Windows
    Alexandre> too. It's not a common case at all, and you really need to
    Alexandre> know what you are doing to make this work. And if you know
    Alexandre> enough to do it, adding explicit paths in the loadorder
    Alexandre> config shouldn't be a big problem for you. Sure, if we can
    Alexandre> make it easier we should (and I believe the wildcards should
    Alexandre> help), but we should not sacrifice functionality for such
    Alexandre> exotic cases.

Only for my understanding: Can you give (an) example(s) where the present
behaviour is usefull against the non-granulat approach.

In my win98se system directory are about 98 executables. I think only a few
are proposed to crash run on another system.

But I am more concered about the case where e.g. a comctl32 is in the
starting directory and you want to run the builtin dll...

Anyway, something like ' --dll "*/comctr32=b" ' that would defeat _any_
native comctl32 from loading is good too.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de