Improving debugging (gdb) support

Tijs van Bakel tijs at connectux.com
Wed May 22 04:39:31 CDT 2002

Hi,

I'd like to improve debugging support for Wine, and have time to
undertake a larger project.  Either I could work on winedbg to match
gdb's features, or I could try to make gdb understand Wine better.
Given the amount of useful frontends for gdb, it seems wiser to go for
the second option.  I'd love to be corrected if you think working on
winedbg is a better choice.

Gdb seems to have trouble understanding the way windows processes run
in Wine.  If anyone has thought about this, I'd like to know your
opinions on a good solution to this problem.

Furthermore, it seems useful to make gdb parse the .pdb format, or
other debugging information.  Winedbg already has a working pdb
parser, which I could port to gdb.

Feel free to push me in the right direction.

--
Tijs van Bakel, ConnecTUX, <tijs at connectux.com>