Asian characters printing - not supported

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 23 06:37:13 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 01:32:42PM -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Huw D M Davies wrote:
> >
> > We've been working quite hard on making improvements to the PostScript
> > driver and now have code that should print any character that can be
> > displayed on the screen (assuming you're using client side font
> > rendering anyway).  The code downloads the TT font to the printer as
> > either Type 42 (TT wrapped in PostScript) or for older printers the
> > font gets converted to a Type 1 outline.
> >

> A couple of suggestions/requests:
>
> 1.  A lot of Wine users (the majority?) will be printing to non-
>     PostScript printers via Ghostscript.  In this situation, embedding
>     the TrueType font in the output is unnecessary, as long as the
>     user has made Ghostscript aware of the font.  Please enable the
>     user to turn font embedding off.

I'm not sure how to neatly do this.  I suppose the user could add the
font to the ppd file and the font would then be treated as a builtin
font.

The cost of download isn't too bad since you only download the glyphs
that you use and not the whole font file.

> 2.  Please don't disable the current (very kludgy) method of printing
>     TrueType fonts.  Client-side font rendering is definitely the way
>     to go, but it currently causes Wine to crash on my system.  Until
>     client-side rendering stabilizes, I (and others) need to use X-
>     based fonts but print TrueType fonts.

Sounds like we need to fix the bug then.  Could you open a bugzilla
bug and include a +xrender,+font log?

Thanks,
Huw.
--