Improving debugging (gdb) support

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 23 14:50:35 CDT 2002

Andreas Mohr a écrit :

> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:26:52PM +0200, Eric Pouech wrote:
> > Eric Pouech a écrit :
> > >
> > > in terms of porting options for gdb, I've looked at several options to do the job, what has to be done.
> > > (I'll format tonight the result of the analysis, when I'm back home)
> > as said, you'll find here a more detailed analysis of the gdb and wine
> > integration
> > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eric.pouech/wine_and_gdb.html
> >
> > I considered 4 options for the debugger:
> > - keeping on working on WineDbg
> > - using GDB, but as a native Linux application. From a technical point
> > of view, the debugger only interacts with the Unix APIs.
> > - using GDB, but as a WineLib application. In this case, the debugger
> > would use the Win32 debugging API.
> > - using GDB remote protocol (with GDB still a native application, and a
> > remote stub being a winelib application). GDB will use the remote
> > protocol, and the remote stub will convert the gdb remote protocol
> > request into Win32 calls.
> >
> > I crossed those options with several features needed for the Wine
> > debugger:
> [...]
>
> It seems you forgot to list one of the most important things:
> Win16 support via WOW interface.

I'm not sure that this is so important...
WineDbg support for 16 bit exec has been broken since the address space
separation, and no one really complained...
support as it is now for 16 bit app (ie single stepping in 16 bit code)
is supported by all options. Loading symbols for 16 bit apps is
supported by none (and likely to remain so)
I didn't add the DOS (and DPMI) support either

A+