Asian characters printing - not supported

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Sat May 25 02:54:48 CDT 2002

Ian Pilcher wrote:

>leanne wrote:
>

>>We tried to print Chinese on notepad but failed.
>>We found that WINE default only writes western characters
>>to postscript.  Is that true?

>>I would like to ask if WINE will support multi-byte character printing?
>>

>The PostScript driver itself has rudimentary support for the Unicode
>BMP (U+0000 - U+FFFF).  It does not support multi-byte characters or
>wide characters.

But U+0000 - U+FFFF contains almost all eastern characters. Last time I
checked there were very little characters that needed two UTF-16
characters to be encoded, and they were mostly based around music notes
and special symbols.

Ok, just rechecked. The following codes are outside the range:

    * Byzantine Musical Symbols
    * Musical Symbols
    * Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols
    * CJK Unified Ideographs Extension B <--- Would probably prove that
      my previous assesment was wrong.
    * CJK Compatibility Ideographs Supplement
    * Tags

And some private use sections.

Do the characters that render to the characters at
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U3400.pdf print correctly for you? If
so, then Ian's assesment is probably correct. If not, then there is
probably another problem.

Shachar