Keyboard layout detection not working??

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed May 29 06:48:45 CDT 2002

"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il> wrote:

> I'm sorry for being reduced to newbe levels all over again, but there
> are quite some things I don't understand about the way X handles the
> keyboard mappings.

X just loads files specified in the X config file. For me they look so:
Option "XkbLayout"  "ru"
Option "XkbVariant" "winkeys"

This means that X uses /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ru file and section "winkeys"
from it.

> I am using kxkb, which provides a KDE applet for real
> time switching of keyboards. Looking at /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/hebrew told
> me nothing I didn't know from looking at the key caps on my keyboard
> (I'm not near my computer, I'll attach them later).
>
> Thing I am trying to say is that all my configuration came from a
> vanilla KDE Debian installation, Hebrew keyboard included. I don't know
> where KDE takes the keyboards from.

I would assume the KDE just uses standard Xlib functions and doesn't
provide its own keyboard mappings.

> The reason I gave up on researching this on my own was the "Q" and "W"
> keys. In the Israeli keyboard, unshifted these keys issue the / and '
> symbols respectively. These keys were not matched either (and pressing
> them convincingly issued these chars, so I know this is not a
> misunderstanding).

You can verify keyboard mappings using standard xev tool.

--
Dmitry.