Stripping of whitespaces at the end of lines

David Laight david at l8s.co.uk
Wed May 29 11:19:47 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:28:01AM -0500, Jeremy White wrote:
> > Warning: Chaos lies ahead this path.
>
> Oh c'mon, we haven't had a good flame war in *ages* <g>.
>
> Every good developer knows that tabs are evil, and that
> four space indentation is the way and the truth and the light...<grin>

Many, many moons ago someone 'fixed' the copy of vi we were
using so that ^D went out a tabstop instead of a shiftwidth!
Apparantly he was trying to do 4 char indents by 'set ts=4'
and indenting using 'tab' - instead of 'set sw=4' and indenting
using ^I :-(

Another company I might have worked for enforces the braindead
layout where ALL {} are indented with the code they bracket.
Especially annoying because it included those for functions
- so [[ and ]] don't work.

(Personally I prefer K&R placement of {} - and have since
before I wrote any C.)

	David

David Laight: david at l8s.co.uk