Debug information

Tijs van Bakel tijs at connectux.com
Thu May 30 08:35:40 CDT 2002

Hi,

I compiled a simple Hello World test using VC++ 6.0, with default
settings.  This generates a .PDB file, which is not read by the most
recent winedbg.  Perhaps this is due to an overly strict sanity check.

In debugger/msc.c I found the following check

 if ( mpd_nth->Signature != IMAGE_NT_SIGNATURE ||
      mpd_nth->FileHeader.NumberOfSections != nth->FileHeader.NumberOfSections ||
      !(mpd_nth->FileHeader.Characteristics & IMAGE_FILE_DEBUG_STRIPPED ))
     goto leave;

Now unfortunately, the characteristics for my file are 0x10e, and
hence the IMAGE_FILE_DEBUG_STRIPPED flag is not set.  Disabling the
check solves this problem, but perhaps I should try to instruct VC++
to enable the bit?

Trying the same with Visual Studio .NET is somewhat more cumbersome.
I haven't been able to read in the debugging information generated by
C++ projects using winedbg.  Has anyone else tried this?

Greetings,

--
Tijs van Bakel, ConnecTUX, <tijs at connectux.com>