Stripping of whitespaces at the end of lines

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Thu May 30 09:02:32 CDT 2002

> Alexandre Julliard a écrit :
> >
> > Vincent Béron <vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca> writes:
> >
> > > If Alexandre wants to do it locally, I support him (our
> mailboxes will
> > > appreciate).
> >
> > If you want me to do that please send me a script that I can run
> > across the tree to do the change. Please don't send patches for this
> > kind of things.
> >
> > --
> > Alexandre Julliard
> > julliard at winehq.com
>
> Here it is. It only targets .c and .h files.

Looks good.

<shameless-plug-for-perl>

However the script can be written much shorter in Perl

find . -name '*.[ch]' | xargs perl -i -pe 's/[ \t]+$//; s/;;+$/;/'

</shameless-plug-for-perl>

> The diff was ~4MB in size between before and after. The savings in a
> .tar.gz of the whole tree were modest, around 25KB.

I have read through the diff (rather quickly) and it seem to be OK.
In fact I can't think of anything in the C semantics that can make a
difference if trailing whitespace or extra semicolon is removed.

> Now to find a good set of arguments to feed indent(1) so we
> all use the
> same coding style...
>
> Not! ;)

Good luck finding something that everybody can agree upon. :-)