Wine FAQ - call for a volunteer

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Nov 1 15:36:09 CST 2002

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 04:21:54PM -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On November 1, 2002 04:02 pm, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > Excuse me, what is sooooooo terrible about the FOM ???
> > Having to maintain hundreds of different web pages by hand
> > (in order to gain the required interdependencies for some complicated
> > issues) is a *lot* more difficult than simply adding/removing/reordering
> > FOM content as you see fit.
>
> But this is not the point. I was pretty clear on my problem with the
> FAQ-O-Matic: the interface is soooo bad, I wonder if anyone bothers
> reading the content! I was also clear on the solution, too. That is,
> I suggested something on lines of this FAQ:
> 	http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
> While this is a *HUGE* FAQ, it's all in *one* page. This is important,
> as people don't have to click like crazy around to read it. The
> formatting is simple, distinctive, and easy on the eyes. It's easy
> to navigate (you can just click on the question), or read (just scroll
> down the page). It's simply a pleasant experience.
And this is not my point either...

My (hidden) point was that the FOM is two *SEPARATE* units,
the FAQ and everything else.
(as always, nobody seems to grasp this)

> Now, from a maintenance point of view: we don't need "hundreds of
> different web pages". The problem with the DVD FAQ is that it is
We definitely do. Not for the FAQ, but for everything else. IMHO.

> way too big. I suggested only for the format. Ours should not have
> more than 50 questions. If it does, something is wrong. Very wrong:
>   -- important issues get lost in the torrent of information
>   -- few people will bother reading it
>   -- we actually *scare* people away
>   -- it's a maintenance nightmare!
>
> My do we need some special tool to maintain one page of FAQs?
Like I said, not necessarily.
I originally chose to also migrate the FAQ content to the FOM,
since adding/modifying was a lot faster that way.
Turned out that adding the FAQs probably wasn't a winner...
(mainly to the "not one page" syndrome, which should be the case for
the FAQ)

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://mohr.de.tt