Wine 0.8 TODO v0.1

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sat Nov 2 08:46:38 CST 2002

>                           *** Call For AppDB Overhaul ***
>
> I have never understood the purpose of the AppDB, until recently, and the
> reason for that is because all I see is a bunch of apps listed with ratings
> that one user put in because he couldnt get it to run, and then a forum for
> each app that is borked in and of itself...  That is why I have shot down
> every idea thus far to use the AppDB (or at least tried to).  But if someone
> can show me where these cool sounding features are that I seem to have
> completely missed, I will probably go along with the AppDB.

Well, for that you can read a thread on this topic here on WineDevel a long
time ago (oh, about 6 to 12 months back).

My proposal was back then that you would have one maintainer (or a bunch of
them) for an application, that one would be the ONLY one able to change the
status / description / how-to for this application. The forum would then
only be relegated to people asking for support, people should NEVER have to
read the forum to see how the application works, everything should be on the
main page.

The role of this maintainer would also then to test the application for each
release of Wine and update the status accordingly. Anyone not updating the
status within X days (weeks ?) after a Wine release would put the
application in an 'unmaintained' state and would then require the addition
of a new maintainer.

This is, for me, the only way this could even work and be a little bit
useful.

If we have even 10 or 20 of the most used application with a dedicated and
competent maintainer, this would make Wine so much useful....

                  Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/