My WineHQ menu structure proposal

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Nov 3 09:49:37 CST 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 03:07:48PM +0000, Keith Matthews wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 15:24:14 +0100
> "Andreas Mohr" <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 02:28:54AM -0800, Francois Gouget wrote:
> > >  * Who cares about an 'Applications Database'? What's that anyway?
> > > Would a potential Wine user want to have dealings with a database?
> > > Nah. Must be for geeks. What users want to know is what applications
> > > run in Wine and thus that's how the menu entry and the thing itself
> > > should be called: 'Supported Applications'. Even if the truth is
> > > that it lists applications that do not work too.
> > True. Application Database is somewhat non-descriptive.
> > Well, why not call its item "(Non-)Supported Applications" then ? ;-)
> >
> This seems to be an area where conciseness and descriptiveness are
> diametrically opposed. We will probably argue long and hard. My
> contribution "Application Support States".
Close, but no whole cigar ;-)
I like "Application Support Progress" somewhat better.
(and "Progress" has a coolness factor associated with it :)
Although it's 3 not very short words, so that might disqualify it easily...
Hmm, and what about doing away with "Support" entirely ?
Then it'd be usable.

> > > 6. Miscellaneous
> > >    6.1. Community
> > >    6.2. Related projects
> > >    6.3. Contacts
> > >    6.4. Legal
> >
> > Hmm, (almost) everything ok so far, but can't we do away with Misc ?
> > Misc is so horribly non-descriptive.
> > IMHO as last entry, it might be better to have "The Wine Team",
> > which then includes Community, Contacts and Legal.
> > I'm not sure yet about where to put Related Projects (probably About
> > would be best), but apart from that...
> >
> Can't say I like 'Misc' either, and I do think that legal should be more
> visible. The project is getting to be fairly visible to governments and
> big corporations, and they like to check legalities early on. How about
> 'Contacts and Legal'.
Then you'd expel "Community", I think (it wouldn't really fit in there).

But of course I'm aware that "Legal" might not easily get associated with
"The Wine Team".
Hmm, this could still need some improvement...

--
"My attitude is, everybody should try competing with Microsoft once in their life. Once."
- Marc Andreessen, former Netscape lead employee, in a "browser wars" interview