notepad and richedit - why?

Geoff Thorpe geoff at geoffthorpe.net
Wed Nov 6 22:56:30 CST 2002

On Wednesday 06 Nov 2002 11:02 pm, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> I was going over the notepad code, and it is implemented using
> richedit. My question is - why? There is no functionality there that is
> not also available through the usual Edit control. The Windows notepad
> is notoriously implemented via the edit control. Is there a special
> reason why our notepad is different here?

AFAICS it doesn't exist to test how Wine behaves w.r.t. edit controls -
you could always use MS's own version of notepad to test that. It seems
to just be a bundled editor that runs in wine - better than notepad,
different to wordpad, faster than emacs, and not as pretty as vim. Of
course. ;-)

Cheers,
Geoff

--