Wine's compatibility lists (updated)

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 11 13:11:42 CST 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 07:44 am, Alberto Massari wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> At 13.27 09/11/2002 +0100, Carlos Lozano wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >It includes 3 lists, a gold list with applications what are
> >working almost 100% in wine, a silver list with application
> >what could be working in wine with some work in them, and
> >the full list with every test done :)
>
> Speaking about IE 5.5, I was able to install it without first
> installing dcom95/98 simply by placing rundll32.exe in the c:\windows
> directory. I know that a pre-requisite of the compatibility list is
> not to have files coming from a Windows installation, so I wanted to
> ask everybody: should be build a built-in version of rundll32.exe
> (just like we have regedit and regsvr32)?

yes.

> Or is this job already on
> the plate of who is in charge of doing the "reboot" utility (a bunch
> of the RunOnce entries written by the installer of IE are calls to
> rundll32.exe)?

Isn't rundll32's job to run out-of-process COM servers which have been
registered, for example, via regsvr32?  If I have this right, this is
not going to be an easy thing to implement, since it will need data
marshalling, and other scary features, some of which I am working on
now....right?  I think we need some of the COM wizards around here to
provide some guidance on this.

> Or am I volunteering for the job? ;-)

yes ;)  Or maybe not.  see above.

--
gmt

Do you frequently think "there ought to be a law..."?
Afraid that people you /don't like/ have too much FREEDOM?
Concerned about the unequal powers of the EVIL RICH?
Think the government could solve your neighbor's problems?

You aren't the first.

  http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html