ReadFile speedup

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Nov 12 18:00:12 CST 2002

Eric Pouech <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> writes:

> just a dumb question: shouldn't we better (for synchronous unix reads)
> convert the fd into a FILE* (cache those FILEs for a few streams, or all
> of them ?) and let libc do the buffering on file reading/writing ?

This won't work because a FILE* is process-local, while a handle can
be shared across processes. Of course there is the same problem with
doing the buffering ourselves in the client, so Hannu's solution won't
work reliably either. To be reliable the buffering would have to be
done in the server, but there's obviously no point in doing that.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com