Resend: implement _ismbcalpha, _ismbcalnum

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Sat Nov 16 02:41:48 CST 2002

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 10:42 pm, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> "Greg Turner" <gmturner007 at ameritech.net> wrote:
> > So, on second thought, merged or no, I'll try to whip up a better
> > version of _ismbc* and maybe, if I'm feeling especially cool, some
> > others in the vicinity, using GetStringType as you reccomend.
>
> try something like this (completely not tested):
>
> int _ismbcalpha(unsigned int ch)
> {
>     char mbch[2];
>     WCHAR chW;
>     WORD ctype;
>
>     mbch[0] = ch & 0xff;
>     mbch[1] = (ch >> 8) & 0xff;
>     MultiByteToWideChar(CP_ACP, 0, mbch, 2, &chW, 1);
>     GetStringTypeW(CT_CTYPE1, &chW, 1, &ctype);
>     return (ctype & C1_ALPHA) != 0;
> }
>
> I'm not sure whether mbch[0] and mbch[1] should be actually swapped,
> in the case if multibyte character was passed in.

ok... after much pondering, I think I have this byte-ordering thing
figured out.  But, it's late, and I'm frazzled, so I'm hoping to get a
santiy check on this before I go and implement the wrong thing.

It seems pretty clear from the examples already implemented in this unit
that, regardless of the platform endianness, the low order byte will be
the trailing byte, and the high-order byte will be the leading byte.
MultiByteToWideChar (and _mbtowc, which might be more appropriate here?
More on this below...) would seem to expect the bytes in the following
order: [leading byte, trailing byte], regardless of the endianness of
the platform.  So, I think, I should #ifdef the byte-swapping based on
the endianness of the target platform (little-endian hosts byte-swap,
big-endian hosts don't).... does that sound right?

Another issue that I haven't quite figured out:  In this function, I'm
supposed to respect the current multibyte code page, as can be get/set
by the _{get,set}mbcp functions.  The proposed implementation above
uses the ANSI codepage, but are those the same thing?  To me, it seems
like they aren't but I haven't really looked into it, because I've been
focusing on the byte ordering issue so far.

/sheesh/ what a mess.  so much for international standards making
everything easy....  Advice, comments, tips, flames, mailbombs,
reporting me to TIPS, etc. are appreciated...

--
gmt

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things;
the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic
feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much
worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing
to fight; nothing he cares about more than his own
personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no
chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better persons than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill