Dual boot solves everything?

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Nov 18 11:07:02 CST 2002

On November 18, 2002 10:23 am, Fredrick P. Lackey wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> First of all, thanks to everyone with your input so far.  I've now been
> able to get IE v6.0 up and running as well as a few other less important
> applications.  Which brings me to a few more questions.
>
> 1. Since it is possible to use native DLLs with applications, can one
> assume that on a dual boot machine with Win98 SE2 and Red Hat v8.0 that
> it would only be necessary to install the desired application under
> Windows, then add native DLLs to the Wine config file to get [almost]
> *any* Windows application to function?

How wonderful it would be if it were true! :) I think it's fair to say
you can run _more_ apps if you make use of _some_ native dlls, but running
*any* app is way too optimistic ATM.

> 2. Each time I launch a program, a black window appears that seems to
> make up the "shell" (for lack of a better term) for that instance of the
> application.  This window is always somewhere around 800x600 pixels.  Is
> there any way to not show this window and/or get the size to be
> something else?  I am running in 1600x1200 resolution and only using
> half of the screen is frustrating.

This must be the stupid desktop option. Make sure you have
"Managed" = "Y"
in the [x11drv] section in ~/.wine/config

> 3. Is there an easy way within Linux/Wine to determine what native DLLs
> the application should/could use?

It can be set, on a per app basis, in the [DllOverrides] section of the
above mentioned file.

--
Dimi.