RFC: console & curses

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Nov 21 00:38:14 CST 2002

On November 19, 2002 03:38 pm, Eric Pouech wrote:
> If you have any comments, speak up now !!

I will not comment directly on the solutions presented, but
rather I will try to list my requirements, as a user. Note
that some/all of them may be working already, but it's here
for as a reference:
  1. If I start a command-line app in a terminal, I want
     the app to make use of the terminal, not NOT start a
     new one. Unix apps behave like this (eg. Midnight Commander)
     and command-line Wine apps should not behave any differently.
  2. I want to be able to redirect stdin/stdout for command-line
     apps like on any regular Unix app
  3. I want to be able to use Wine command-line apps without X
  4. I would love to be able to choose the terminal that's started.
     That is, instead of having wineconsole pop up, wouldn't it
     be cool if konsole/gnome-terminal/rxvt/xterm/etc would be
     fired up depending on desktop-environment/user preference?

I view 1 & 2 as absolutely fundamental. If they are not supported,
I'd say our implementation is broken.

Point 4 is very important, at least for me: not only wineconsole is
not as good as the Unix consoles, it's also very annoying to not be
able to use your console of choice. And besides, from the user's POV,
a console, it's a console, it's a console. Why should I be _forced_
to run a particular one? I have customized the hell out of mine, I
want _that_ one.

Point 2 is nice to have, but a lot more academic than the others, at
least for me, as I always run under X. Mind you however, that there
was a time when I used Wine to run some uC assemblers (command line),
and it's easy to see that sometimes X is simply not available.

--
Dimi.