Get rid of W->A calls: LoadImageW

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Nov 21 00:54:57 CST 2002

On November 19, 2002 04:19 pm, Huw D M Davies wrote:
> I don't see the point of this at all.  Why does it matter that we're
> calling CreateDCA here? it's not as if we're losing information by
> converting a Unicode to an Ascii string.

Personally, I think it's much easier to say, as a policy thing:
  Don't have W->A calls!
It's easier to detect (using winapi_check), it's easier to enforce,
and it's less confusing for developers (especially new ones).

Also, the way things are going, this makes sense from a runtime
standpoint, as calling an A function will most likely result in
an additional runtime A->W conversion down the road.

And last, but not least, there is a lot of code in Wine that
calls W functions with string constants, so it's not like a new
thing, it's accepted practice.

--
Dimi.