Seperating winelibs from main wine

Geoff Thorpe geoff at geoffthorpe.net
Thu Nov 21 16:28:37 CST 2002

On November 21, 2002 03:27 pm, Vincent Béron wrote:
> There already is a versioning in the wineserver protocol; I believe the
> present version is 68 or 69. The problem lies in using an app compiled
> for another version than the installed wine libraries/server, and/or
> surviving upgrades in the installed wine libraries/server without
> recompiling the winelib app.

Ah, ok - yes well that's another problem altogether, but at least it'll be
a *sane* problem at the packaging/sys-admin level, even if potentially
frustrating. But if anyone cares enough about releasing a linux
application in winelib form and protecting against lib/wineserver version
hassles, they should probably also be releasing a bundled local
installation of anything important from wine? Though I guess that assumes
it's possible to configure/bundle the wine stuff (server, configs, etc)
so that it works "locally" to an application installation rather than
using global paths and what-not ...

Cheers,
Geoff

--