Help needed - CreateScalableFontResource

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Mon Nov 25 14:27:55 CST 2002

Hi list,

We have in Israel a lawyer who has cought on to the idea of open source,
and is helping "The Cause"(tm) here quite a lot. As part of his
activities he is wants to demonstrate a Hebrew law and precedance lookup
program at a conference on Dec 2nd using Wine, and he asked for my help.

When trying to run the program, I get the following error:
sun at sun:~/c/PD_OR/EXE$ LANG=he_IL wine PDWIN G
Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.485, setting to
0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.485, setting to
0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.485, setting to
0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.485, setting to
0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.485, setting to
0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.485, setting to
0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.485, setting to
0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.485, setting to
0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:NE_LoadSegment No implementation for USER.491, setting to
0xdeadbeef
fixme:win:stub_USER_490 stub
fixme:font:CreateScalableFontResourceA
(0,"C:\\PD_OR\\FONTS/AMIR____.FOT","C:\\PD_OR\\FONTS/AMIR____.TTF",(null)):
stub
fixme:font:CreateScalableFontResourceA
(0,"C:\\PD_OR\\FONTS/AMIRBLD_.FOT","C:\\PD_OR\\FONTS/AMIRBLD_.TTF",(null)):
stub
fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit task modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.

The application then goes on to display a error message saying (In
hebrew) "The fonts for the application could not be found, please
reinstall...".

The fonts are indeed available in C:\PD_OR\FONTS as TTF files. It seems
the application calls CreateScalableFontResource, and then tries to
register the fonts. Copying the TTF fonts to the fonts directory did not
solve this problem.

I am looking for some solution, even a workaround, that will solve this
problem for me. I have contact with the application's developers, and
they are very interested in getting this to work (not interested enough
to actually install Linux, but they are interested enough to answer
technical questions about the app).

My questions:
A. Is there any way I can patch Wine to fool the app into thinking that
part succeeds? Or is performing this test necessary, for some strange
reason, in order to use the TTF fonts?
B. It MAY be possible to ask the developers to actually modify their
code to a moderate degree, in order to get this app to work. Is there
anything in particular I can ask them?
C. Is anyone working on this API? I don't know the first thing about
font files and resources, and while I CAN learn, is someone with already
existing knowledge can do something about it, it would be much preferable.

                Thanks,

                        Shachar