[RFC] Winelib enhancements (wrc)

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Nov 28 17:07:38 CST 2002

On November 28, 2002 04:19 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> The biggest problem is if you want to support multiple resource
> files. But as long as you don't break the current .res support that
> wouldn't matter too much I guess.

Yeah, but it's very limitted. I forgot about the multi-file part.
Hmmm... Me don't like this. What else can we do?

What about this:
  -- currently, makefiles have such a rule:

%.o: %.rc
	$(WINDRES) $< $@

  -- it's easy enough to split it like so:

%.res: %.rc
	$(WINDRES) $< $@

%.o: %.res
	$(RC) $@ $<

And the WINDRES and RC variables will be defined as such:

in MingW:
WINDRES = windres
RC = windres

in Winelib:
WINDRES = wrc
RC = utility_that_creates_dummy_empty_object_file

Which leaves just the linking a bit different...

Even better, we can just remember the .res file in the
dummy object file, and have the link wrapper recover it
from there, so we just have to redefine LD, instead of
modifying the link target.

This way you should be able to compile a Win32 app under
Winelib with a few changed definitions in the Makefile:
 CC, WINDRES, RC, LD
and split the .rc.o rule into .rc.res, and .res.o.

Now that's easy. How about it?

--
Dimi.