automagical .sym symbol loading in winedbg?

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 8 00:27:24 CDT 2002

Is there any way to get winedbg to automagically load
.sym files from some particular directory?

winedbg> "symbolfile [full unix path of .sym file]/[filename.sym]"

it seems to work; but what a hassle!  All that crap is in
"/var/src/nosrc/DOTwine/fake_windows/windows/Symbols,"
quite a lot to type over and over (yes, I have cut-and-paste
capabilities... but it still sucks).  I see it looking
for ".dbg" files but not ".sym".  I'm experimenting with
the Windows 98/98SE DDK symbol files, installed
into my fake_windows.

I also noticed _NT_SYMBOL_PATH references
floating around in there, but that's for ".pdb" files,
and unlikely to help, right?  Anyways, I tried it,
it doesn't help. :(

--
gmt

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility
of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your
arms. Crouch down and lick the hands, which feed you. May
your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget
that ye were our countrymen."

-Samuel Adams