DOS/Win16 interrupt handling architecture

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Sun Oct 13 10:40:35 CDT 2002

Jukka Heinonen <jhei at iki.fi> writes:

> So, my proposal is to move all interrupt handlers to
> winedos dll and have only single interrupt handler routine
> per interrupt, instead of having separate real and protected
> mode handlers. If an interrupt occurs in protected mode
> ntdll would just load winedos and call single function from
> winedos that simulates the interrupt.

Yes, that has always been the goal, so if you feel like working on
that, great!

> - Win16 programs using interrupts take a bit longer to start and
>   they get all kinds of unnecessary stuff into their address space from
>   winedos.

We may want to handle some interrupts internally in kernel, like int20
or int21/4c. For some Win16 apps that's the only interrupt they use,
and it would be silly to load the full winedos just to terminate the
app right away. But this can be added later on too.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com