Australian Tax Program now working, but WINHLP32.EXE fails

Ben Stanley bds02 at uow.edu.au
Tue Oct 15 20:45:51 CDT 2002

Hi,

I've been using wine cvs for a while now, and trying to run the
Australian Tax Office's ETax2002 program for preparing tax returns. Up
until yesterday, it would fail with an illegal memory access, but
yesterday it started working! I have not identified which patch fixed
it, but the program uses flat scroll bars and list (tree) views.

I have now used the program to complete one (non-lodgement) tax return,
and am part way through preparing another. The ETax2002.EXE program
appears to work very well!

However, I am unable to utilise the on-line help, which is provided in
winhlp format. When I try to run

wine winhlp32.exe etax2002.hlp
wine "C:\\Windows\\winhlp32.exe" \
"C:\\Program Files\\etax2002\\etax2002.hlp"

I get a message dialog saying
Error while reading the help file
`"C:\Program Files\etax2002\etax2002.hlp"'

The WINE help program then displays an empty window.

So it looks like more work is needed upon the help file viewer, but I
suppose this is on the todo list anyway. I am able to access the help
using the printed material from the tax office, which is identical to
what is in the help file.

Thanks for all of your work on Wine!

Ben Stanley.