Services

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Thu Oct 24 03:29:47 CDT 2002

I think Wine should, and CAN, do without privelege escalation at all.

Let's look at some of the examples presented here. If we want to give a
multi user Windows experience that is compatible with the multi-user
Unix experience, our trust model must be comperable. My view of such a
case is this:
Wine is installed on the system. This means that there is a directory
called "/usr/wine", inside of which you can find "/usr/wine/windows",
"/usr/wine/Program Files" etc. Permissions on this directory are set
according to the unix standard - i.e. - only admins.

Then again (assuming W2K compatibility) - you get "/usr/wine/Documents
and Settings/dimi", that is a symlink to "/home/dimi/wine". It goes
without saying that, as far as the Windows applications, "C:\Documents
and Settings\dimi" is the directory, writable to the proper user.

Now, you need to be administrator to install a new program. Nothing new
about that. If the admin want's to change that, she can set a group to
the entire /usr/wine directory structure, and give that group write
permission. There are still some security issues with this model. The
wine server probably needs to be SUID to server everyone, etc. But
still, that is a model that works. Besides, the server does not need to
be SUID root, it can have a special user for that purpose. This is
probably also required for registry access, if we want to enforce
registry ACLs - we can't have a malicious user by pass the wine
permissions by simply accessing the file directly, so the system
registry file must not be readable by normal users (hence the need for
suid on the server).

As for printer drivers, and services at large - there is a major
question here of whether we wish Wine services to be able to server
non-wine processes. If the answer is "yes", as is probably the case with
an Adobe PDF printer driver, or with a winmodem's driver, root must
install them.

If the answer is "no", then there is no breaking of the model. With the
directory structure as defined today, each user can install it, claiming
full admin rights over the loca directory structure. Of course, the new
adobe's printer driver only serves his programs.

There is one problem with this model that has to do with windows
programs that require admin in order to RUN. I know of a few of those.
Some of them simply require DirectX, and these don't seem like a problem
in Wine. Others require file access, and I was considering writing a
program for Windows that will work around that by API remapping. I think
it will be possible to make these programs work without breaking
permissions. If so, it will certanly be easier to implement in Wine than
in Windows.

                    Shachar

Greg Turner wrote:

>On Thursday 24 October 2002 12:30 am, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
>

>>On October 22, 2002 12:24 pm, Martin Wilck wrote:
>>

>>>The fact that wine cannot change user personalities and is lacking most
>>>of the NT security concepts makes services pretty useless.
>>>

>>I was thinking, can't we somehow use stuff like sudo(8) to accomplish
>>that? I personally haven't used sudo(8), but if we do support services,
>>we have to integrate nicely with the Unix world, IMO.

Actually, I think PAM is a more apropriate answer to this. I am saying
this without thorough knowledge of PAM, though.