How can an app detect it's running under WINE?

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 25 03:52:55 CDT 2002

On Friday 25 October 2002 03:30 am, Alberto Massari wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> At 03.12 25/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Message: 13
> >Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:10:32 +0200
> >http://www.winehq.org/FAQ/ would have been answering this in countless
> >cases already.
>
> I'm sorry I asked this here, but the only help I got from the FAQ was:
>
> ------
> Q: How can I detect Wine?
> A: You really shouldn't want to do this. If there's a quirk in Wine you
> need to work around, it's *much* better to fix it in Wine (after all you're
> a developer, so you should be able to gather enough help and knowledge to
> fix it for real).
> If you think you really want to know how to detect it anyway (maybe in
> order to just have a cool "running on Wine" status text or so), then please
> mail me.
> (address-suppressed)
> ------
>
> So I though I could ask it here....

Blech!  That's tacky.  If we're going to plug fixing wine as a solution
to someone's problem, we should at least have the decency to
give them a straight answer as well.  Should we expect them to
fix DCOM if that's their problem?  What about driver installation?
etc... there are lots of totally legitimate reasons somebody might
need this.

--
gmt

"Oh, and of course, the fastest way to dig
 a tunnel is to dig at both sides."
   -- The Linux Advanced Routing HOWTO