How can an app detect it's running under WINE?

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Fri Oct 25 07:41:28 CDT 2002

> At 13.22 25/10/2002 +0200, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 10:30:15AM +0200, Alberto Massari wrote:
> > >[...]
> >
> >Like someone else said (IIRC), you could check for the existence
> >of the Wine configuration registry key branch. That'd be a
> 150% reliable
> >method of detecting Wine presence.
> >
> >But again, trying to fix issues would be preferrable.
> >(unless there are just too many problems to be fixed)
>
> Thanks for your answers: we all agree that the best thing to
> do is to have
> WINE support all the WIN32 API, and mimic all the Windows flavors.
> But just like an application calls GetVersionEx to decide how
> to behave on
> a specific platform, it is perfectly valid for it to try to
> detect WINE as
> a variant of Windows, and react accordingly. That registry
> information is
> the right piece of information, as it could also be used to
> instruct the
> user on the changes needed to make the application work better.

Oh sure, you CAN detect Wine if you want, the point is that the
Wine project reserves the right to change any behavior at any time
for any reason, but most often in order to try to make some
application more compatible with Windows. If this breaks your Wine
detection, tough. We will not change back because of you.

So that is why there is no OFFICAL way to detect Wine, simple because
if where was an offical way people could quite reasonable complain if
some change to Wine broke their detection. However since there are no
offical way, they can't complain can they? :-)