Wine securityflaw: Protect against root

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Sun Oct 27 07:51:01 CST 2002

P. Christeas wrote:

> Write a segment of code that will abort wine, if it is run as root
> (that is,
> just before wine starts anything). This piece of code should only be
> explicitly disabled in the 'configure' script. That way, only a

I slightly disagree - I think the thing to do would be to have wine not
run if UID == 0, UNLESS the commandline parameter --i-know-i-am-root is
set, AND THEN pop up a dialog box that requires confirmation before
continuing.

I would ALSO suggest that wine check the execute bit on the application
being run - the recent incident with Klez running under Wine would not
have happened (I think) if wine would not run that which is not marked
with the -X bit (unless, again, a command line parameter is supplied,
and a warning dialog is confirmed).

Since I know of no mail client for Linux that would set the X bit on an
attachment, this would help protect users from themselves, while
allowing those that need to be able to take the risks to do so.

And as for making "/" available as a Wine drive - how about creating a
tool that would allow you to add or remove drive mappings at run time?
So that if I find that I really do need /usr/foo/bar/baz available to
Wine, I can run a program that tells wineserver to add that as drive Q:
for now.