Debugging advice

Matthew Bloch matthew at bytemark.co.uk
Wed Oct 30 19:53:23 CST 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 01:14, you wrote:
> Matthew Bloch <matthew at bytemark.co.uk> writes:
> > $WINE/tools/winebuild/winebuild \
> >   -fPIC -DSTRICT -D_REENTRANT \
> >   -exe LSNClient.exe -mgui Builds/native-debug-linux/Source/*.o \
> >   -L$WINE/dlls -luser32 -lgdi32 -ladvapi32 -lkernel32 -lddraw -ldsound \
> >   -lwinmm -ldisplay -ldispdib >Source/LSNClient.exe.c
>
> display and dispdib are 16-bit dlls, you shouldn't import them.

Still does the same thing whether I include then on the winebuild cmd line or
not.  Could you explain what the error message "loaded .so but dll ... not
found" means?  What does display.dll do?

> >  What efficiency gains will I make
> > compiling a native "shared library exe" with gcc as opposed to just
> > compiling with Visual C and running it under the normal WINE binary
> > loader?
>
> There are basically no efficiency gains, there is no overhead in
> running a PE exe compared to a native one.

Okay, but presumably it's easier (as in not impossible!) for me to debug a
program with GDB if I'm using a elf binary as opposed to a PE binary, which
is mostly my object here.

thanks,

--
Matthew Bloch         Bytemark Computer Consulting Limited
                                http://www.bytemark.co.uk/