Wine 0.8 TODO v0.1

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Oct 31 18:12:13 CST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
[...]
> A. WineHQ work
>   0. Reorganize a bit the navigational menu
>   1. Add a screenshot link to the homepage

See also my other email...

>   2. Create some really sexy screenshots

Advice on screenshots:
 - if the screenshot is just about one application then only that
application window should be in the screenshot rather than the whole
desktop.
 - do not try to cram 15 different applications in the screenshot. A
lot of screenshots I see look like a mess and that's not good.
 - try to avoid JPGs as they produce artifacts on text. Use PNG instead.
Unless you have photos in the screenshot, you can even convert to 256
colors with no loss of quality if you use 'Positioned Color Dithering'
in Gimp (reduces image size significantly).

>   3. Rework the FAQ interface
>      (static HTML, a la http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html,
>       all on one page, with a clickable question list at the top)
>   4. Enlist some 'official' distribution maintainers
>      (at the minimum RedHat, Suse, UnitedLinux, Debian)

Agreed.

>   5. Create nice page with apps that run virtually flawless
>      They should not require MS dlls, tricks, etc. to run
>      Small explanation, screeshot, optional link to download
>      page, such as Tucows.

I suggest that this should be dynamically generated from the Application
database by looking for applications rated 5 in no-windows mode. And it
is the task of application database mantainers and application owners to
control these applications and forcefully downgrade applications that
incorrectly received a 5 rating.

There's still a risk of problem if too many applications receive and
deserve 5 rating, but is that the case?

 "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on
       ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" -- Linus Torvalds