Heap overruns

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Mon Sep 2 00:10:15 CDT 2002

Joerg Mayer wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 12:22:44AM +0300, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>[many lines of history deleted]
>

>>Implementing my suggested system will:
>>

>Maybe there's another solution: Someone with very intricate knowledge
>of wine and the x86 processor could get valgrind to work - this would
>provide a very powerful tool.
>
>  Ciao
>          Jörg

Just my opinion, of course, but this would require WAY more work than
implementing my suggestion. I am also not sure how valgrind does with
heaps, where the entire memory does belong to the application, but a
given memory location is accessed via a pointer that was supposed to be
used on another section.

I know that commercial Win32 tools (such as BoundsChecker, by NuMega) do
that using profie compiling - i.e. - they do exactly what I suggested in
the previous mail.

As usual, the best approach would probably be doing both.

                Shachar