Problem with regression tests getting stuck

Sylvain Petreolle spetreolle at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 3 18:09:32 CDT 2002

I tested wine with 3 different compilers at this time:
- orignial RedHat's gcc 2.96 (The_Bad_Thing);
- gcc3 patched to hell Redhat gcc 3.1 (better but not good)
- gcc 3.2 from gcc.gnu.org tarball "The source, Luke." ;)

2.96 doesn't pass the tests,
3.1 too,
3.2 from source passes.

(and I did a _bunch_ of tests.)

> Besides, too often I've seen some completely wacky behaviour of
> seemingly
> innocuous code (which I was convinced was because of compiler-error)
> only
> for some subtle code-related bug to turn out to be the culprit.
>
> That said, gcc-2.96 was/is a completely fscked up "release" of gcc.
if you want to say "fucked up", I'm ok (ask to mplayer.hq.hu guys ;))
if you want to say it's clean, I don't agree in any point.

> > (even if gcc 3.2 is a bit slower to compile wine;))
>
> How much of a performance hit do you suffer here?
described by gcc team (and others), gcc 3.2 is about 5% slower than 3.0
(don't know why)