VersionNumber reg. key

Ender winedev at admdev.com
Wed Sep 4 21:28:32 CDT 2002

Hi all,
	A few weeks ago I was setting up a fake-windows install, and ran
across a few pieces of software that just crashed.. like the Visual
Studio installer.

After a little bit of investigation, I discovered these were trying to
read the HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\VersionNumber
key. And of course, as this is a 'required' key in Windows, there was no
code to cope with failure :)

At the very least this should be added to the default registry with a
dummy value (oh yeah, values are like: "4.90.3000"). But my question is
whether or not Wine should dynamically 'lie' about this registry key,
depending what winver the current thread is running in.

Thoughts?

 - Ender