recognize Unix-style hidden files

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Fri Sep 13 16:38:48 CDT 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> The semantics associated in Unix with files starting with
> a . is that they are hidden, *exactly* like the hidden DOS
> files. We should mark them as such.
>
> We're lucky in that the DOS world does not use files that
> only have extension, so we have no semantical conflict.

I don't think I agree with that. Maybe in the days of 8.3 files yes,
but nowadays Windows apps can create files starting with a dot, and
they don't expect these files to be hidden. Also hidden files are much
harder to access under Windows than dot files under Unix, so I'm not
sure it would really be better for the user.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com