WineLib and DLLs (Winedump)

Jon jon_p_griffiths at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 19 07:15:40 CDT 2002

Hi Steve,

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:57, steve.lustbader at philips.com wrote:
> The README section on inserting the stub dll into the wine tree
> seems a little out-dated.  It tells me to run autoconf, but
> autoconf complains that it cannot find configure.in - is this
> step still needed?

Yes, any time that you add or delete directories to the base distribution you
need to re-run autoconf to generate a new configure script.

In your case you are running an older version of autoconf. Make sure that you
are running autoconf version 2.53 or higher, or this process will not work.

There was a thread a while ago on allowing earlier versions of autoconf to be
used to build Wine, but its not seen as too onerous to require a recent
version for developers.

> If I skip autoconf (which may be causing this problem), when
> I run make depend I get:
<snip>

Yes, you have the dll directory and a Makefile.in in there, but no Makefile,
since configure didn't get updated and generate one for you.

> I ran the install script that winedump produced, but maybe that's
> not up-to-date with respect to the current wine build process?

I updated the build process following the big changes earlier this year for
building on Win32. I don't believe there are any problems, but there have
been some changes since then. If you have any issues let me know and I'll try
and iron them out. If I get a moment I'll update the README on requiring a
new autoconf also.

I was considering allowing generated DLL'd to be built out of the tree but I
didn't want to be generating too many files from winebuild (and autoconf
files for a whole new dll project can be quite large).

Cheers,
Jon