Standard load address for a Win32 program (0x00400000) not available

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Mon Sep 23 05:14:33 CDT 2002

For me the problem happened when I used the grsecurity patch for 2.4. It
appears that, in an attempt to block some exploits, the patch will use
that address for glibc, thus making it unavailable for normal load
(quoting Alexander's reply to my query). This should not, normally, pose
a problem, unless you are using some special case program.

In my case, there was a problem with IDA pro, implementing some
anti-reverse engineering techniques, that caused it to depend on this
load address in order to work. Is there any program that is actually
causing you problems?

            Shachar