export {Start,End}GraphicsExposures from x11drv

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Sep 23 16:54:37 CDT 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> But of course, you called Start! If you don't want them collected
> for the end call, don't start collecting them... :) I really see
> these as: tell me what gets invalidated between these two calls.

But the point is that this is not necessarily the right model from the
driver point of view. By calling Start, USER forces the driver to use
an "accumulate until End" model which may not be the best one for the
given operation; but this is something that the driver knows, not
USER.

The current approach is that the driver pushes exposures into USER
whenever it feels it necessary. Your approach is to make USER pull
exposures out of the driver when USER thinks that it should be
needed. The problem is that the one who knows when there is a need for
exposures is the driver, not USER, so the push model is much more
appropriate (even more so with X11 asynchronous events, where you
can't predict when exposures happen).

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com