export {Start,End}GraphicsExposures from x11drv

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Sep 23 17:24:50 CDT 2002

On September 23, 2002 05:54 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> But the point is that this is not necessarily the right model from the
> driver point of view. By calling Start, USER forces the driver to use
> an "accumulate until End" model which may not be the best one for the
> given operation; but this is something that the driver knows, not USER.

I understand that. That's why I've left in my patch the pScrollWindowEx
around, in case the driver thinks it can do a better job. We don't lose
the ability to do a superjob on ScrollWindowEx. But if we don't feel
like it, we have a fairly good fallback (in fact, it's quite good as it
does what the x11drv does now :)).

However, I don't think this is important. With the current setup, we
either have to implement ScrollWindowEx or (with my patch) the
{Start,End}GraphicsExposure in driver, and it's not obvious that one
is simpler to implement than the other. The approach of exposing
{Start,End}GraphicsExposure would make sense if we could provide a fair
number of _decent_ (not optimal)  fallbacks for the driver. Than you
could simply implement the {Start,End}GraphicsExposure to get the
driver off the ground (which, I figured, you'd need internally anyhow).

--
Dimi.