Using winbind with Wine

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Sep 25 12:38:29 CDT 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 03:06:05PM +0200, Martin Wilck wrote:
> > Am Mit, 2002-09-25 um 00.55 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> >
> > > As to unicode, I
> > > have designated one call as being in utf8, to cope with external
> > > interaction, so it's possible things can happen here.
> >
> > What matters to wine is that if a call goes like this:
> >
> > Windows app <-> wine <-> PAM or other API <-> winbind <-> RPC <-> Windows server,
> >
> > we must ensure that the Unicode string wine receives from the app
> > reaches the server ungarbled.
>
> Seems like you'd like to see one more library as winbind's companion.
> However, if libsmbclient is licensing stumbling block, then similar
> situation may happen with such winbind's library :(
> Besides, I'm not sure whether designing another library is ``the good
> way out''.

I do not think that libsmbclient is the right way to do this. I think that
the correct way is to make the various Samba client RPC libaries available
as separate DSOs so that clients can make dirrect use of what they need.
Then the wine group can possibly build a thing DLL wrapper around the
underlying RPC libraries.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,