[Controversial] Developper only CVS sandbox

Shachar Shemesh fribidi-discuss at sun.consumer.org.il
Thu Sep 26 06:07:11 CDT 2002

I don't get it either.

Synch the current WINE CVS on sourceforge with the winehq one. Create a
branch on the SF CVS. Every so often, create a hook that will commit
changes to the main WINEHQ cvs to the main SF CVS (or create an
automatic hook reading from wine-cvs).

Every so often, someone needs to merge the changes in the main tree to
the branch (happens all the time when you do local development, when you
do "cvs up").

As for merging - I have had only minor experience with ClearCase, but I
did perform major merges in CVS. In my experience, it is no more
diffuclt than the theoretical problem of "how the !#($*!% should the two
chages be merged". I have not seen anything that suggests to me that
ClearCase is any better at this. It is better at actually creating the
branches, etc.

What I suggest:
Someone (we'll call him "WINE SF project manager") needs to make sure
that the main SF CVS is up to date.
Someone else (we'll call him "D3D project manager", or whatever the
branch is all about) needs to maintain that branch, perform periodic
merges, etc. This same someone also needs to occasionally submit the
branch's state to the winehq CVS.

            Shachar