Debugger no more starting

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Sep 29 22:49:44 CDT 2002

On September 29, 2002 10:25 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> But that's exactly what it does. You have problems because you know
> too much; with the new scheme a user doesn't even have to know that
> there is a way to configure the debugger, it will just work.

It's a good thing, granted. But my comment was referring more to this:

>The winedbg script should be used only when starting from the
>Unix command line, from inside Wine you need to specify a .exe or
>.exe.so instead.

This I don't like. I have to start the _same_ executable using
different names! As a user, why should I even care, or know,
that a window on my screen is a Unix window, or a Wine window?

If I have a "Run command..." dialog which takes the command name,
why should I know (and how), that in one I should type winedbg,
and in another winedbg.exe? In fact, even DOS/Windows users are
used to be able to specify the probram name _without_ the
.exe/.bat/.cmd/.com/etc. extension. Why should they do any
different in Wine?

I haven't looked at the problem at all to understand the technical
reasons behind this requirements, but I can say, as a user,
that's quite counterintuitive...

--
Dimi.