support for starting wine as an interpreter by kernel (execve)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Sep 30 13:50:45 CDT 2002

jau at iki.fi (Jukka A. Ukkonen) writes:

> 	I complained about this matter a week or two ago, and got
> 	the pretty asocial answer: "This list is for patches only."
> 	So, no ideas, no discussion.

Discussions go to wine-devel. You can also send patches to wine-devel
if you want to discuss them.

> 	I have also an imgact_wine() function as an extension for
> 	FreeBSD kernel to recognise win/dos binaries and start wine
> 	(or any other windows emulator selectable by a sysctl()
> 	variable), if the kernel has been compiled with the USER_LDT
> 	option.

If you are doing the kernel part too, why don't you pass the
interpreter as argv[0]?  That's the way binfmt_misc does it under
Linux, and it's a lot more useful since you can use anything you want
as interpreter, you are not limited to specially modified apps.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com