valgrind for WINE

Adam Gundy arg at cyberscience.com
Wed Apr 2 07:08:21 CST 2003

At 12:17 01/04/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Adam Gundy <arg at cyberscience.com> writes:
>
>> a new version of the valgrind patch has been uploaded to sourceforge -
>> the only change is a small fix to the signal handling which should
>> prevent "signal handler frame" uninitialized errors.
>>
>>   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=710006&group_id=46268&atid=445588
>>
>> comments? bug reports? success stories?
>
>I played a bit with it, it works pretty well, and I have already fixed
>a few bugs found with it. Great work!
>
>I have also applied those of your fixes that seemed correct, the rest
>will need a bit more work The signal stuff in particular is not going
>to work properly with NPTL, it would be really better if we could
>somehow make valgrind use real threads. I have no idea if this is
>possible though.

which part of the signal stuff won't work? all that has happened is that the
"kill( <pid>, SIGUSR1 )" has moved from the wineserver to the client (for 'local'
threads). I thought that the NPTL stuff still wanted a PID-per-thread model
just so it can do this?

OTOH if you can *really* switch to a pure pthreads model, that should be no problem
since valgrind comes with a pthread library...

as to making valgrind use real threads, I think that is a BIG job, and unlikely
to happen, since the only thing that wants 'real' threads is WINE - everything
else is happy with pthreads.

Seeya,
 Adam
--
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write,
it should be hard to read, and even harder to modify.