NTPL & pthreads locks

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Tue Apr 8 01:11:42 CDT 2003

Alexandre,

If I understand correctly, we currently implement the pthreads locks
on top on Wine locks because the standard pthreads locks are not powerful
enough to support all Win32 locking primitives. Integrating these locks
is necessary for integrating Wine with the pthreads Universe.

Now, given the new NTPL work, would it be possible/feasible/desirable
to implement the Win32 locks on top of NTPL primitives (such as futexes)?

At the very least it makes the setup a lot more intuitive, and less likely
to break. If we are to follow this path, there are portability problems.
But do we support this sort of libc integration of Solaris and *BSD? And it
seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard for these systems to provide
something that would allow us to implement all Win32 locking primitives,
and the end result would be a lot less brittle.

--
Dimi.