NTPL & pthreads locks

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Apr 8 12:29:57 CDT 2003

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> At the very least it makes the setup a lot more intuitive, and less likely
> to break. If we are to follow this path, there are portability problems.
> But do we support this sort of libc integration of Solaris and *BSD? And it
> seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard for these systems to provide
> something that would allow us to implement all Win32 locking primitives,
> and the end result would be a lot less brittle.

I don't think we can implement Win32 primitives on top of pthreads, at
least not in a reasonable way. We may be able to do it on top of the
raw kernel futexes, but that's not exactly libc integration (and it
will most likely require new kernel features too). And the only reason
for doing that would be performance, it's certainly not going to make
things more intuitive or more solid.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com