keyboard mapping with XFree86 4.3.0

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed Apr 9 10:07:04 CDT 2003

"Tim Ruehsen" <tim.ruehsen at openmediasystem.de> wrote:

> thanks for your answer. Dmitry's answer maked me believe to be stupid...

Tim, I'm sorry if my answer was a bit crude, I really didn't mean to offend you.

> Since I can't rewrite the keyboard detection code and it looks like it is a
> general XFree 4.3.0 issue, I have to wait for someone to fix it.

Well, I'm running 4.3.0 and have no problems with keyboard detection code,
it just works for me.

> Meanwhile, your answer lets me hope that there is a workaround. But I don't
> understand your answer completely. As I can see, my keyboard configuration
> (in XF86Config) did not change from 4.2 to 4.3. Could you or anybody give me
> a hint on how to set XkbLayout/XkbVariant or whatever to get my right alt key
> working (this is the most important one for me)?

If you will add "us" to the "XkbLayout" setting in your XF86Config like this

Option       "XkbLayout" "us,de"

it might help.

Sorry again.

--