winsock.h portability patch causing portability problem

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Wed Apr 9 12:21:05 CDT 2003

Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> I wonder why this doesn't seem to happen on GNU/Linux; any ideas? In
> fact, why do we need to override the operating systeme here? Shouldn't
> these functions be the same?

Unfortunately Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to make the
socket functions WINAPI, so we really need the right prototypes. The
problem is that they are defined as macros on FreeBSD; we wouldn't
need to override them in that case since there is no WINAPI issue with
macros, but of course we don't know before including the file whether
they will be macros or functions... I think the only solution would be
to make our implementation use macros too, even though it's not the
way Microsoft does it.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com