keyboard mapping with XFree86 4.3.0

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Apr 11 10:46:28 CDT 2003

Tim Ruehsen wrote:

>>>I read some XFree READMEs. They are talking about a possibility to
>>>configure keyboard layout 'backward compatible' - but I could not find
>>>out how (it might help).
>>>

>>You don't need to. you can tell your X to use us,de as the keyboard, but
>>to always be in grp2. Actually, what I just said counts as "backwards
>>compatible", as that is what happens on 4.2.x. Does anyone know, off the
>>top of their head, how to do that?
>>

>I tried to cheat wine with "us,de" together with ",nodeadkeys" and
>"grp:ctrls_toggle" (toggle between us and de with pressing both ctrl keys).
>Doing so resulted in a screwed keyboard, e.g. a-z keys now had special
>meanings in KDE, running wine did not give me access to '{[]}' keys. KDE
>itself has been screwed (maybe since I pressed lots of keys for testing while
>they had special meaning).
>
>I made tests with several different toggle keys and configurations, but no
>success... meybe there is no easy solution.
>
>Regards, Tim

Hmm.

Try us,de, leave the dead keys in (unless you want them out), and
grp:alt_toggle. Then, press alt to switch between keyboard layouts.

I know that grp:shift_toggle is badly broken, both in Wine and in other
apps I have seen (I suspect an X bug here). I have never tried both ctrl
toggle, though.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh